Western toad painting by Carl Dennis Buell

Birding and other pleasures and aggravations, in Berkeley and beyond, by Ron Sullivan.

Recent comments

Recent posts

May 4, 2009

Ah Berkeley

I’d like a Rosary Roto-Router, please.

Redundant Woo

(Click to go to Flickr and enlarge it if you can’t read the posters.)

Somehow I don’t see this as a threat to Cisco Systems.

Responses

1 | By: jael on May 4, 2009 at 09:54 PM

jael's Gravatar

Oh Hai.  Is almost as good as one i saw here in traveler land, which states -

two rebirthing sessions a day.  One in the morning, one in the afternoon.

you can also do Power Meditation, Singing Bowl Massage (no, i can’t figure it out either), learn how yoga poses effects your mental state (that course takes two weeks, I think) and there seem to be several dozen courses on using crystals. maybe berkly just vacations in india, i dunno.

2 | By: Ron Sullivan on May 5, 2009 at 07:32 AM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

We have lots of East Indian folks right here, but they sell mostly useful things like food (restaurants and groceries), saris and other clothing, jewelry, henna treatments…

I shoulda stocked up on crystals back in 1980 when we went through Hot Springs, Arkansas. Big ol’ quartz crystals for a buck each. Dang.

I wish I could keep a straight face long enough to run one of those joints. I do have a problem with breathing incense tho’.

3 | By: VS on May 5, 2009 at 07:43 AM

VS's Gravatar

No worries!  Tell your seekers that incense interferes with your chi.

4 | By: kathy a on May 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM

kathy a's Gravatar

ron, maybe an entry for the “how berkeley can you be?” parade, and/or the stroll?  i’m sure you could come up with an appropriate “truth seeker” costume, incorporating every scarf you can find.  those plastic bead doorway decorations are almost like crystals, aren’t they?

you could, i dunno, read the auras of people in the crowd by holding out your enlightened hand.  “amber:  you are destined to have an illegal ferret, who will show you the way.”  “turquoise:  the secret thing in your bottom drawer will bring nothing but grief.”  “sage:  your soul is tortured, and will only be soothed when you throw all your spices upon the hibachi.”  “pink:  in a past life, you were a pony, and the pony wants cotton candy right now.”

5 | By: Ron Sullivan on May 5, 2009 at 09:00 PM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

VS: I remember walking into a crystals-etc. store called “Bones of Our Ancestors” in the Haight years ago. They had some great specimens—rocks, skulls, horns. Great big Thank You For Not Smoking sign right in my face as I walked in, and so much incense in the air I had to turn and walk out—and that was when I was all tough and healthy. Chokes my chakras too.

kathy: Still laughing. Uncle Woo Wants You!

6 | By: kathy a on May 6, 2009 at 02:05 PM

kathy a's Gravatar

the bone room on solano doesn’t have incense.  ‘course, they don’t tell you those quartz specimins have healing power, either.

7 | By: Ron Sullivan on May 6, 2009 at 05:45 PM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

And that’s why I Luv The Bone Room.

Bought my beloved and much-missed first snake from Ron Cauble, the owner. (He used to own the East Bay Vivarium; IIRC he sold it to a cabal of employees.) She was retired breeding stock, a normal-colored corn snake. Turned out she had a heart defect that’s rather too common in corn snakes and died of it; probably passed it along too, dammit. But she was inexpensive enough to get me started on snakelihood and I had a great time with her.

Cauble’s kind of a blowhard sometimes but a decent sort and generally knows what he’s talking about, which covers a multitude of blow. Plus this is two great stores he’s created. (Google either or both for the online versions.)

Got my favorite other-than-Sara-made earrings there, too.

8 | By: kathy a on May 7, 2009 at 05:01 PM

kathy a's Gravatar

i know the bone room, and know the vivarium, but didn’t know they were related.  cool.  we got our tarantula at the bone room—harriet lasted for 9 years as a classroom pet.  both places were sources for the crickets.  only the bone room has earrings, though.

years and years ago, i was at a big-deal national conference thing on the east coast, and this guy was wearing a vivarium t-shirt.  turns out his office is just a few blocks away from the snakes.  we’re still friendly.

9 | By: kathy a on May 7, 2009 at 05:12 PM

kathy a's Gravatar

the earrings—the ones with iridescent beetle wings?

10 | By: Ron Sullivan on May 7, 2009 at 08:57 PM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

Yup, those. Half of why I like them is the soft jingly sound they make whenever they move.

T-shirt code and bonding therefrom is a funny thing. Also useful, clearly.

11 | By: kathy a on May 8, 2009 at 09:11 PM

kathy a's Gravatar

since it is a small world and all, it will not totally surprise you that our mutual acquaintance, soar, worked with the vivarium t-shirt friend for several years before decamping for mill valley and his current sideline of school gardening.

12 | By: Devils Rider on October 27, 2017 at 01:58 AM

Devils Rider's Gravatar

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me, you give me best information! Thanks, very good post.
<a href=“https://devilsrider.com/collections/skull-beaded-bracelets”>Skull Beaded Bracelets</a>
Keep Posting:)

13 | By: Devils Rider on October 27, 2017 at 01:59 AM

Devils Rider's Gravatar

<a href=“https://devilsrider.com/collections/skull-beaded-bracelets/”>Skull Beaded Bracelets</a>
Keep Posting:)