Western toad painting by Carl Dennis Buell

Birding and other pleasures and aggravations, in Berkeley and beyond, by Ron Sullivan.

Recent comments

Recent posts

March 31, 2009

Rule

Sox

ER Rule # 3.14: Wear your festive monkey sox. They’re the first thing most of your carefolks will see of you.

Home, breathing, better, with prospects of getting better still. Film @ 11.

Responses

1 | By: VS on April 1, 2009 at 06:50 AM

VS's Gravatar

Please update when you can - I betcha I’m not the only one who’s nervous reading that!  Get better soon!

2 | By: Kate G. on April 1, 2009 at 08:04 AM

Kate G.'s Gravatar

Serious stuff! Did they change up your meds or is it time for a week away fromthe mulberry’s…maybe Joshua Tree?

3 | By: Ron Sullivan on April 1, 2009 at 09:06 AM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

Not Dead Yet. Increased steroids, added a different antihistamine (which Joe will fetch RSN) and a referral to a pulmonologist TBN within a week or so. Basically what I got there that I could’n'a got elsewhere was an IV bolus of steroids and blood tests and chest XRay to rule out pneumonia. Also one of those perspectives you get when you’re ensconced on a gurney on the quiet side of the department and listening to lines like these from the other side of the curtains:

“On a scale of one to ten, where ‘ten’ is cutting your foot off with a chainsaw, it’s a seven.” (Young man with broken nose. V. stoic and calm-sounding.)

“Why I’m scared—there were three patients and I don’t know which one…” (Young woman who works in multiple-dentists’ office, and who’d intersected badly with a batch of sharps that were <i>on the way to</i> the autoclave. Long sort-out ensued about HIV and Hep risks, immunizations, et al. Whatever had happened, she was also in noticeable pain, also being stoic. The dentists can ask those three patients to take voluntary HIV tests, and I sure would if I were one of them, but can’t make them mandatory. No one on record has ever picked up HIV from an incident like this, AFAIK and as far as the PA talking to her knew.)

“I work at the airport, and I jumped off the baggage belt last night… Thought I’d walk it off but this morning it was all swollen and now it hurts more.” (Youngish huskyguy, also being all calm and reasonable if anxious.) Also: “Supervisor? Doug, I dunno his last name, just call him [deep flat voice] <i>‘Duuuuuhg’</i>. The manager’s [First, Last names]; try him.”

Several ambulance calls too, but they were on the other side of the hall. passed four-five cops scattered about on our way out. Trust me: it ain’t a patch on Jackson Memorial or its 350-a-day load, and <i>I’m just fine with that</i>.

Didn’t get a chance to say Hi to Jerry, tho’.

Have I mentioned that we’ve been running 3 HEPA filters here pretty much 24/7? And yeah, time for a vacation from the street trees. Unfortunately no budget or stamina or deadlinelessness for a trip to J-tree; no dacha by the sea to hie off to.

I’m feeling not so terminal, though. See my PCP tomorrow, get referral, etc.

Could be worse, as we all know. I’ve no doubt that Kathy A, f’rex, also got the ominous emailed news about our buddy Sara of Moving Right Along. Dammit. And speaking of perspective.

4 | By: Pica on April 1, 2009 at 09:49 AM

Pica's Gravatar

Oh Ron. Sorry to hear about this, do update us when you can.

Hugs, A.
x

5 | By: VS on April 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

VS's Gravatar

Yikes!!! So… is this allergies compounded by that gawdawful cold going around?

6 | By: Ron Sullivan on April 1, 2009 at 04:03 PM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

Sure, Pica. Assume I’m doing OK as default, though.

VS: Just allergies, no cold. No shit. Obviously I’ll have to start allergy shots again before next spring. Or, y’know, move to Outer Marin or the Farallones or something.

‘Fruitless’ mulberry is an all-male-flowered clone cultivar. Real mulberries have male and female flowers and the female flowers, of course, are where fruit happens. ~Messy~. So these are planted as shade trees in lots of places including several blocks of our street. This seems to be a very floriferous year for them. They’re wind-pollinated, as are lots of things that don’t have showy flowers. The day after they started blooming here I got slammed with this.

7 | By: Sally Mack on April 3, 2009 at 09:58 AM

Sally Mack's Gravatar

So sorry to hear your allergies are so bad you wind up in the ER.  Anything I can do?  We never coordinated a pizza party a couple of months ago. . .if you’re up for company?

8 | By: kathy a on April 3, 2009 at 01:06 PM

kathy a's Gravatar

shit shit shit.  yes, monkey sox are good, and so is discharge—all the rest, not so much.

no, i didn’t get an email about sarah.  but i’m fucking crying anyway.

9 | By: jael on April 7, 2009 at 07:12 PM

jael's Gravatar

oi. get the well the soon.  not dead is a good start.

also, sensational socks.

10 | By: Ron Sullivan on April 7, 2009 at 07:58 PM

Ron Sullivan's Gravatar

Thanks, jael. It rained today. I may live.

11 | By: B. Dagger Lee on April 8, 2009 at 06:30 AM